Buggy Tours Lanzarote
Adventure on four wheels
Your Buggy Tour in Lanzarote - Information & Tips
Such a cheeky four wheeler attracts everyone's attention when you drive around with it in Lanzarote. A wide wheelbase, no doors and you won't find a windscreen either. With this fun car you stick in on the asphalt through the curves and it will get rough and dusty in the terrain. On a buggy tour you experience your vacation island from a completely different perspective.
You have seen such a buggy from afar before and your gas foot already itching. However, you do not exactly know what to expect and if it really is something for you. Well, buggy tours are one of the most popular activities in Lanzarote and you shouldn't miss out on that either. In the following article you will find that buggy driving is only one thing: fun! We have compiled all information and tips about it, so that you know what to look out for. You will also learn what it is that makes buggy driving so special.
- The Buggy - A brief explanation
- Who can take part in buggy tours
- The process of a buggy tour
- Definition off-road
- Buggy rental
- The right buggy tour for you
- Requirements for buggy drivers
- Services included in the buggy tours
- Please note when booking
- You should bring this with you on tour
- Overview of our buggy tours
What Is a Buggy?
In the early 1960s, Volkswagen launched the first motorized buggy in the United States. These were small, two-seater and open cars, which were used a lot by hippies mostly to get to the beach. This way, these vehicles achieved cult status and are still known as beach or dune buggy today. Before that, buggies were only known as one- or two-axle horse-drawn carriages.
The buggy has now disappeared from the beaches. They have become all-terrain, mostly have all-wheel drive and are no longer built by VW. The petrol engines have 250 to 1000 cubic centimeters and can produce well over 100 hp. Manual gears is often omitted. Accelerator and brake pedals are totally sufficient. Despite being street legal, these buggies are not made for everyday use. They are meant to be fun to their owners. Special versions of the buggy are used in off-road races. However, their construction and performance data have little in common with the buggy on Lanzarote.
The interior and equipment are kept to a minimum. You will look for the windscreen, doors and fenders in vain. The suspension of the wheels are visible and the tires are wide and beefy. All this gives the speedster a martial look. If you have only a little gasoline in your blood, you will immediately feel the urge to get in and get going.
Buggy Tours in Lanzarote
Who Is a Buggy Tour on Lanzarote Made For?
If you are looking for something unusual, you will feel comfortable in a buggy. Especially if you don't mind giving up comfort. Because there is no air conditioning and no power steering to make driving more comfortable. You should also have no problem with the wind blowing in your face. There is no windscreen that protects you from it. As a result, the dust will penetrate through every single opening of your clothes while driving off-road. And in the winter, when the slope is a bit muddy after rainfall, you will also find mud on your face and on your clothes. To make a long story short, if you have a penchant for a rustic adventure and are not afraid of dust and dirt, you are in good hands on a buggy tour.
What Is the Procedure For a Buggy Tour?
Before the tour starts you will receive a briefing from the guide. It is about aspects of safety, behavior on the road and how to operate the buggy. After that your convoy starts and you follow the guide's buggy for the entire time. Due to the simple design, handling these vehicles will be easy for you. Simply accelerate, hold the handlebar with both hands in the curves. You will notice how the centrifugal force gets your blood boiling. Thanks to its bizarre volcanic landscape, Lanzarote is a perfect area for your buggy tour. Whether it is on or off road, the small power package feels particularly comfortable on the island.
What Happens When Driving Off-road?
In short, off-road means: get off the asphalt road and up on unpaved ground. It doesn't matter whether you drive your vehicle on slopes, beaches, through fields or forests. In relation to your buggy tour in Lanzarote, this term only points to one thing: fun and lots of it. However, you shouldn't equate driving off-road with a rally. Your guide will dictate your speed and direction. Racing and overtaking are absolute taboos. In addition to your safety, these restrictions also concern the protection of nature in Lanzarote. But don't worry your wheels will of course spin in the bends. And when the rear breaks out a bit, you will have to keep it under control. Adventure and adrenaline are an integral part of off-road driving during your buggy tour. Just don't overdo it!
Can I Hire a Buggy on Lanzarote?
Most people immediately feel like taking a tour when they see a buggy convoy in Lanzarote. Lanzarote seems to have been specifically created for these speedsters. Dusty sandy slopes, lava and screed fields and excellently developed asphalt roads with countless curves form an El Dorado for buggy fans. But not everyone always wants to join a group with several unknown people. They are rather keen on the idea of hiring a buggy on Lanzarote and checking the site on their own.
Unfortunately, you should first get used to the idea that you will not find a buggy rental on Lanzarote. The risks are too high, and therefore no insurance is willing to insure buggy in individual rentals. But there are other aspects that speak against to hire a buggy. The guides will lead the group to the most exciting spots in Lanzarote. These places are a bit hidden, so you probably wouldn't find them on your own. During a guided buggy tour you will also ride the off-road slopes with maximum fun. In addition, it is prohibited for individuals to leave the paved roads without an authorization. The buggy tour operators have those special licenses for driving off the public asphalt roads in the field.
Which of the Buggy Tours Is Best For You?
- As a beginner: If you have never driven a buggy before, you should start with a less powerful buggy. Try our Xtreme Buggy Tour, for example. It may also be advisable to choose a shorter tour.
- As a savings fan: You are used to comparing offers well. Please note that not only the price determines the value, but also the performance. Duration, type of vehicles used and whether free hotel transfers are included also play a major role in determining the best offer.
- As a sightseeing fan: For those who want to get as much impressions of their vacation island as possible on a tour, it is recommended to chose a longer tour. Because the radius of action is correspondingly larger on these tours. And it is best to inquire where the route will take you beforehand.
- As an adrenaline junkie: Everyone looking for thrills and a special kick should watch out for the off-road. Make sure that the tour is conducted off-road in parts and ideally how high the proportion is. In this case, also the engine should be bigger in order to provide you with proper power. We recommend our Monster Buggy Tour 1000.
What Are the Requirements For Driving a Buggy?
- Driving license: There are no exceptions. To drive a buggy on the public road, you need the driver's license class B. The operator will want to see the original before starting the journey.
- Minimum age: Depending on the type of tour and the buggy used, the requirements regarding minimum age and driving experience at the different operators may vary. Some require drivers to be at least 21 years old and have minimum 2 years of driving experience. For others, it is sufficient if you are 18. Please check these requirements in the detailed descriptions of the tours under the menu item “Please note!”.
- Weight: With some buggy models, the maximum load is quite limited so that it can be critical for two passengers. Therefore, please check under "Please note!" whether a maximum weight is specified and how high it is.
- Minimum size: In some cases, the operator requires a minimum body height from the participants. This always applies, regardless of whether the participants are of legal age or not. Please also consult “Please note!”.
- Children: Again, the requirements can be different. The minimum age for children can be 4, but also 12 years. You can find the exact information under “Please note!”.
What Is Included in the Tours?
Of course, the tank of the buggy is full when you drive off. You are also insured during the tour. Some operators provide protective glasses against the dust. Some sell cloths for dust protection for a few Euros. Most operators will pick you up from the hotel and bring you back there. Depending on the type and length of the tour, food and drinks can also be included in the price. The inclusive services of our tours can be found under “Services & Prices”.
What Should You Consider When Booking?
Due to the balanced climate in Lanzarote, buggy tours are possible all year round. However, the highest demand is in the summer half-year. If you are planning a buggy tour in Lanzarote from June to September, we advise you to book it a few weeks in advance. Also check our tour descriptions to see if you will be picked up from your holiday resort.
What Should You Have With You on a Buggy Tour?
- Driving license: It is mandatory and you must take the original with you on tour. Copies are not accepted.
- Sturdy, closed shoes: Sandals or flip-flops are generally not permitted when driving, because you can get caught in the pedals. Put on sneakers For example. They shouldn't be your best shoes because they get dusted properly.
- Sportswear: Wear comfortable clothing that isn't one of your best. The dust on the off-road part will make them quite dirty.
- Jackets: The wind can get really cool. You should particularly, have a jacket with you from October to May. At this time of year it can get really cold inland with the open speedster.
- Dust protection: You can get a cloth almost at every shop and also very cheap. When it comes to the dusty off-road slopes, it is absolutely recommended to wear such a cloth to protect your nose and mouth.
- Sunscreen: A must. The intensity of sun exposure on Lanzarote is extreme. Pay particular attention to sunscreen with a high sun protection factor.
In the detailed descriptions of our tours you will find the most important specific information again under “Please note!” and “Services & Prices”. Now you know everything about buggy tours in Lanzarote and can choose the right buggy tour for you and your loved ones. Have a lot of fun!
Buggy Driving in Lanzarote
In the north, in the center and in the south of the island. Find the excursions in your area.